Are you a fan of art deco architecture? Miami is home to some of the most iconic art deco buildings in the world. In this article, we’ll explore where to find these stunning structures and how to make the most of your visit.
Tips for Finding Art Deco Buildings in Miami
- Start your search in South Beach: This neighborhood is known for its colorful art deco buildings and has been designated a Historic District by the National Register of Historic Places.
- Take a walking tour: There are several companies that offer guided walking tours of Miami’s art deco buildings. This is a great way to learn about the history and architecture of the area.
- Visit during Art Deco Weekend: Each January, Miami Beach hosts an Art Deco Weekend festival that includes tours, lectures, and other events celebrating the style.
Where to Find Art Deco Buildings in Miami
Ocean Drive is perhaps the most famous street in South Beach and it’s lined with iconic examples of art deco architecture. The Colony Hotel, designed by Henry Hohauser in 1935, is one of the most recognizable buildings on Ocean Drive with its signature neon sign and pastel color scheme.
Espanola Way is a charming pedestrian-only street that’s home to several art deco buildings. One standout is The Clay Hotel, which was built in 1925 and features intricate details like wrought iron balconies and colorful tiles.
Miami Beach Post Office
The Miami Beach Post Office was built in 1937 and is an excellent example of Streamline Moderne architecture. The building’s curved lines and porthole windows give it a distinct nautical feel.
How to Make the Most of Your Visit
- Bring a camera: Miami’s art deco buildings are incredibly photogenic, so be sure to bring your camera or smartphone to capture some shots.
- Research beforehand: If there are specific buildings you want to see, do some research beforehand to find their exact locations.
- Take your time: Allow plenty of time for your visit and take your time exploring each building. You’ll likely discover new details and features with each one you visit.
In conclusion, Miami is a treasure trove of art deco architecture that’s waiting to be explored. With these tips and ideas, you’ll be well on your way to discovering some of the city’s most iconic buildings.